It's not news: there is a lot of extreme unseasonable weather for this part of the summer. Pick your place on a map: it's either unbelievably hot or, in a few spots, unseasonably cool.
If I had to choose, I'd be in a cool spot.
However, I'm fortunate. I don't have power outage in my living space. My work space was shut down for a bit with power outage. Today I'm using my office as my personal cooling center.
In other news, my sewing machine has been the hot spot for hopping activity lately. Made a graduation quilt for my niece*, finished at my mom's on the way to the event. Nothing fancy - had a perky bundle of flannel purchased from a quilt shop in Iowa. I had another plan for it, but the idea was only an idea for several years. In the end I made nearly the same quick, big piece quilt I think they'd featured. Tied, not quilted, but quickly loved and put to use on a very chilly graduation weekend.
Following that, I have been sewing some quilt tops to help with the grade school
charity quilting project at the school where I volunteer. I don't
usually help with that project - designed for the upper grade kids to do
with the nearby senior center, the project involves the kids learning
to sew, making large block quilt tops, and tying them. The upper grade
classes are currently pretty small - and the kids were kind of
disappointed they didn't get many made. New strategy, the project
coordinator thought: get some tops sewn up in advance so the kids can
start tying, make progress in terms of quantity, and then start some to
do beginning to end. I totally get the excitement of having a LOT of
quilts to donate. The project coordinator was pretty clever, and she
made up some quilt top "kits" to have ready at the volunteer luncheon. I
took one home, zipped it back the next week, and she promptly gave me
three more. I'm game.
And I don't mind some sewing to
do while I plan the next sewing. Witness the quilt of guilt that came
out for finishing. I knew one reason it stalled out, but I'd forgotten
the other reason - I still had blocks to build. Found a few stray
triangles and squares cut out amidst the rest of the fabric. And the
fabric was AWFUL for triangles. Way too much biasing, I had one of the
cardboard templates. Who knows what kind of miscalculations there were
in the math. I don't know how many more I planned - probably another eight blocks, and those eight blocks inadvertently put this project on pause for YEARS.
I did the only reasonable thing. I went for the finish line: frames around the squares. wide sashing with contrasting
blocks at the intersections, and a pair of wide borders. I'm still
contemplating one extra round of border, but I may call it quits.
On to the back. I have nothing suitable. I don't want to go
shopping, when I have an embarassment of fabric to use. Or at least
that's what I thought until yesterday when I melted in the heat.
Looked at some of my fall purchase of blue quilt plaids I'd left here in my shop. Not enough of them to substitute for a whole back.
I'm back to the first plan. I smell some kind of artsy finish.
it isn't too odd. It's hot. My senses may short circuit.
*a quilt which is NOT the quilt begun when said niece was an infant..... that one went back to the back burner